Sunday, February 22, 2009

Why I Hate Research Articles

I remember once, in kindergarten, getting a paper cut. It hurt, but I thought, hey I’m the son of a doctor, this isn’t bad. Lung-cancer could be bad. Paper cuts heal.

But in picking up a research article on how Virtual Reality is supposed to cure anxiety disorders, and carrying it to my computer, I made a discovery. Paper cuts effing hurt. So badly, that my immediate post-slice thought was to change my Facebook status to “I got a paper cut. Life sucks.” They really sting. And then, I went to wash it off, and it was slightly on a knuckle, so it was in perfect position to open up every time I began to clench my fist. So I had to go wash it off again. But a drop of blood kept forming where the cut was so I had to find a band-aid, or risk my keyboard and shirt becoming permanently redder. And in a frantic search through the house I discovered that apparently nobody in my house has used a band-aid since they were five (I’m the youngest, and I haven’t been five for fifteen years), so my right middle finger now sports a beautiful rendition of Scooby and Shaggy, in what appears to be some starry LSD induced reverie.

I really was gonna try to start a blog that wasn’t just week after week of me complaining.

7 comments:

  1. The layout will come along. Give it time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've bled till I dropped looking for bandaids in this house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Complaints are the driving force behind the whole internet. DON'T PRETEND THAT YOU'RE IMMUNE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the blogosphere. I have had this same experience with the paper cuts. I think the failure to cut has something to do with the thinness of the cut, the lack of surface area. You do the math.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you trying to say that when you were young and foolish you thought paper cuts were not as bad as cancer, but have since had a revelation that, in fact, paper cuts can be equal to or worse than cancer?

    ReplyDelete