Friday, June 19, 2009

Well Played

I learned a trick in KBY; when you're tired and actually want to get stuff done, take a nap. A short fifteen minute putting-head-down-on-table could translate into a much more alert three hours afterward. Today, at about 2:45 in the afternoon the only people in the lab office were me and a doctoral student, so I employed the trick.

I woke up about fifteen minutes later to the beep-beep of my laptop telling me that it was shutting down due to low battery. (Yes, I unplug my laptop periodically and let the battery drain because I heard that was good for it. I'm a little weird.) When I finally signed in my username my whole screen showed this (press f11 to see exactly what I saw).

I freaked out, until I realized I was still in mozilla, and that it was just a slight addition to the current session which the laptop had saved before it shut down. But even so I freaked out because a scary webpage that looked like a virus had popped up, and the grad-student was on the phone so I had nobody to ask about it. When he finally hung up he asked what was the problem. I showed him, to which he responded: "Yeah, you were asleep, and I couldn't find any shaving cream."

3 comments:

  1. Well played, indeed. I wish I worked with people as cool as the people you work with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is hysterical. When I saw it I thought, GREAT. He just gave me a virus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OR you could sleep at night.

    ReplyDelete